The grid when the player is moving (above) and when the player is standing still (below).
The 机械标尺 is an 配饰 purchased from the 机械师 for 1 . While equipped, it draws a semi-transparent grid overlay on the screen, making individual 物块 distances much clearer. This grid fades out when the player begins moving and returns once movement stops. The row and column of the block the mouse is hovering over are also highlighted in red, drawing a cross on the screen with the cursor at its center.
This accessory can be equipped at the same time as the 标尺 accessory for an even more complete block distance measuring overlay.
- Though it has very little utility in combat, the Mechanical Ruler can still receive a 修饰语 and affect the player's stats.
- Having the Mechanical Ruler equipped in a social accessory slot disables the item. Having it equipped in an (active) accessory slot enables the item's functionality even when the slot is set to be invisible.
- However, the Mechanical Ruler is one of only a few accessory items that don't even have to be equipped to be fully functional. It can just as well be kept in the inventory (including the hotbar).
- The grid can then be toggled off and on in the upper left portion of the screen, similarly to the Ruler, the 喷漆器 and the 建筑师发明背包's paint sprayer part, as well as 精密线控仪's wire/actuator visibility and its included ruler.
- The game's "Tile Grid" setting creates a less obtrusive five block wide grid around the cursor, which can serve as a simpler alternative in case the Mechanical Ruler's overlay is too flashy.