Spiky Ball Traps are 机关s that can be found in 丛林神庙 in 困难模式 地下丛林 Biomes.
When activated, the Traps dispense orange spiky balls that bounce several times, dealing around 90 damage to players and enemies. They have a cooldown of 5/ 4 seconds.
Before it spawns a spiky ball, the game goes through every spiky ball in the world, and adds up their 'effect' on the trap based on the pixel distance between the trap's center and the spiky ball's center.(To compare, a tile on the map is 16*16) A spiky ball's effect is:
50, if the distance falls in [0,50)
Sum the 'effect' up and if the sum is less than 200 (not equal), the spiky ball can spawn.
The Spiky Ball Trap with Super Dart Traps and Spear Traps
- Damage to players is doubled, stack with the double effect of 专家模式, yielding 4 times of damage.
- If there are at least two blocks directly under the trap, the ball will be ejected up rather than dropping down.
- Only bounces off solid blocks, not platforms.
- If there is just one block beneath a Trap, the ball will go straight through the block. Therefore, you can set up two rows of Spiky Ball Traps on top of each other and double the number of balls falling down on every activation.
- In 1.3 there is a cap for Spiky Balls being allowed at once. It is not a definite value, but rather like the mechanics for the Statue spawns (at most 3 spawns in a small region, 6 in a medium region and 10 in the whole world), although it is more complicated.
- Effective for home defense, especially using the enemy-triggered 压力板.
- Effective for farming enemies. But due to the change in 1.3 (spawning trap + extended cooldown time) it is not very suitable. Try using 长矛机关s instead.
- Sprite updated.
- Can now be hammered to rotate 90 degrees at a time.
- 220.127.116.11：Cooldown increased from 4 to 5 seconds.
- 1.2.3：Wearing 寒霜盔甲 no longer makes Spiky Ball Traps give 霜冻 debuffs.